Saturday, June 14, 2008

Windy City

(Sorry about the wacky formatting. I've tried to fix it to no avail)

I went to Chicago the other day. So much to love about that city.

First of all, Wow Bao. Why does Grand Rapids not have a Wow Bao?

I had Mongolian Beef and Teriyaki Chicken steamed buns (along with Spicy Peanut Noodles). I simply cannot say enough about these steamed buns. They are absolutely succulent.

And Anthropologie. I'd never been to this store, but it's so cool; full of Adorable Clothes That I Can't Even Begin to Afford, and tons of cute home decor items and housewares. I got two sweet juice glasses on clearance. No, you're absolutely right, the green one isn't supposed to look like that.

I was in Union Station, about to board my train when I heard a "thunk" and realized that while the handles of my Anthropologie bag were still around my wrist, the actual bag and its contents were on the ground. At least there was one survivor. May I suggest, Anthropologie Bag Designer, that you go back to the drawing board?

I love these residences.

I love Crate and Barrel. But the front part of the store - the part where the escalators are that's all open and glass 5 stories up - makes me incredibly nervous. The soles of my feet sieze up when I think about the person who had to hang those banners. And the person who arranged those decorative planters. Eek. My palms are totally sweating just thinking about it.

I love wandering down Michigan Avenue on an 88-degree day. Well, not so much the 88-degree part. But I do love the proprietors of the high-end stores who blast their air conditioning and leave their doors open, effectively turning the sidewalk spaces in front of their doors into mini meatlockers. Actually, it's a huge waste of energy, which I guess I don't technically love. But it sure is refreshing . . .

I love expanses of green in the midst of a big city. This was the first time I went to Millenium Park, and I was glad I went. There was a wacky reflective sculpture there:

And some crazy Big-Brotheresque fountains (you can only see one of them here) through which I was sorely tempted to run. The children ran amok, while the adults sat or stood decorously on the periphery, enjoying the mist.

I love the Art Institute.  I didn't go in this time, but I walked past it. I dig the lions.

I love Chicago! What city do you love?

1 comment:

Anne Marie@Married to the Empire said...

I love London. Lots to do there, tons of history, and best of all, my nieces are there!

But Dallas (where I live) is pretty awesome, too.